Sunday, April 27, 2014

“Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent” ― Victor Hugo



This past Thursday I had the pleasure of meeting Joe Hardy of Central Rock Gym in Watertown, MA.  He has commissioned me to mosaic the rock climbing gym's logo.


I'm really excited to get started and will be posting progress pictures on my Facebook page (www.facebook.com/threeowlsmosaicart).  But that's not what this post is about.

You see, Joe not only owns several of these really cool rock climbing gyms with his brother, he is also a composer, a piano player, a painter and a pretty cool guy!  



When I walked into his apartment I was immediately drawn to the artwork.  It commanded my attention!  I didn't know, yet, that it was his.  After commenting on one, Joe was kind enough to show me his studio and more of his work.

The picture above doesn't do the piece justice.  In person, the colors are incredibly vibrant and immediately draw you in. And when I heard his process, it literally brought a tear to my eye.  So inspirational!

When you look at some of his work, like the one above, you're basically looking at a song!  How cool is that?

Joe assigns each note a color, using different shades to represent the flats and sharps (I think that's how it's said!).  Pretty cool, right?

The piece above represents a sunset.  Joe wrote a song with the intention of having it look like a sunset when he painted out the notes.  He wrote a song that was audibly as well as visually beautiful!

Have you ever seen or heard of anything like that?  

(Joe, if you're reading this, please feel free to comment and properly describe your inspiration and process!)




No comments:

Post a Comment